Your pet’s skin requires constant care and attention to maintain optimum health. At UW Veterinary Care, our animal dermatology experts are specially trained to identify skin conditions, from the easily treatable to more complex diseases that require ongoing care. No matter what the diagnosis, your UWVC team will build a custom treatment plan that keeps your companion healthy and active.
Our veterinary dermatologists are trained to treat a wide variety of skin conditions, including:
- Itching, excessive dander or scale, greasy skin, dry skin or crusting, lumps and bumps
- Skin allergies to food, fleas or environment
- Ear and skin infections
- Parasites like fleas, ticks and mites
- Dog and cat hair loss
- Nail disease
- Anal sac diseases
- Rare autoimmune skin diseases
You do not need a referral to schedule an appointment with a UW veterinary dermatologist. It is very important to complete the Client History Questionnaire before you arrive for your visit. This Welcome Letter, and maybe also this FAQ about Allergy Testing, will help you understand what to expect during your appointment.In addition, a summary letter from your veterinarian and copies of the pet’s medical record will help us treat your pet more quickly.
Additionally, here are some important tips that will make your visit run smoothly:
- Do not bathe your pet for at least one week prior to the appointment.
- Stop antihistamines, sedatives and tranquilizers for at least seven days before the appointment. (These drugs can interfere with testing and lesion appearance, making it more difficult for us to treat your pet.)
- Do not feed your animal after 10 pm the day before your appointment, unless there is a medically necessary reason to do so (such as diabetes mellitus).
Information on Skin Conditions in Pets:
UWVC Dermatology Team
- Douglas DeBoer, DVM, DACVD
- Elizabeth Layne, DVM, DACVD
- Karen A. Moriello, DVM, DACVD
- Michelle Piccione, DVM
- Nicole Albert, CVT, Supervisor
- Rubi Hayim, CVT
SCHEDULE A DERMATOLOGY APPOINTMENT:
Regular clinic hours are Monday through Friday, and our scheduling staff will assist you in finding an appointment with the right veterinary specialist based on your animal's needs at a time that works for you. Our emergency services for all species are also available 24/7 if your animal has a serious problem that requires immediate medical attention.