The Critical Care unit at UW Veterinary Care is uniquely prepared to provide 24/7 monitoring and support to dogs, cats, and other small animals who are critically ill. Whether your beloved companion needs intensive care and continuous monitoring because they are recovering from a major surgical procedure, they have a life-threatening heart arrhythmia, or a serious systemic illness such as pneumonia or cancer, our team is here to provide comprehensive and compassionate care around the clock. Our board certified veterinary critical care specialists partner with our other specialty veterinarians to create a custom care plan so if your animal is seriously ill we can provide the best possible medical attention and support.
Available treatments and resources:
- Intravenous fluids to maintain hydration, blood pressure, and electrolyte balance.
- Pain medications that are tailored to each patient, whether they are recovering from surgery or have a disease process that causes discomfort.
- Transfusions to combat anemia and other blood disorders.
- Oxygen cages if animals with lung or heart disease need to breathe a higher oxygen concentration.
- Nutritional support through balanced meals, use of a feeding tube, or even intravenous feeding if the gastrointestinal tract function is seriously compromised.
- Mechanical ventilation for animals who are unable to breath on their own.
And with our in-house pharmacy, laboratory and imaging groups, direct access to all medical specialties and a 24/7 veterinary care team, you can trust that your pet will receive the best care, right here, right away.
While your pet is in our care, your UWVC doctor will coordinate scheduled updates of your pet’s condition, as well as visits so that you can spend time with your pet during its stay.
UWVC Emergency and Critical Care Team
- Dr. Bach, DVM, DACVIM (SAIM), DACVECC
- Dr. Mitropoulou, DVM
- Dr. Racette, DVM, MS, DACVECC
- Dr. Walker, DVM, DACVECC
- Dr. Apelgren, DVM
- Dr. Cutchin, DVM
Dr. Kilpatrick, DVM
- Dr. Lemberg, DVM
- Dr. Vazin, DVM
- Dr. Ward, DVM
- Dr. Gollnick
- Dr. Robertson
- Dr. Keyes
- Dr. Fedotova
- Dr. Bromberg
- Dr. Paul
- Dr. Elliott
- Dr. Fothergill
- Dr. Pochal
- Dr. Rahn