Department of Surgical Sciences
Titles and Education
2007-2010: Residency in Large Animal Surgery, University of Pennsylvania
2006-2007: Internship in Equine Surgery, Hagyard Equine Medical Institute
2006: DVM, Cornell University
2002: BS, Cornell University
Dr. Morello has completed original research in the areas of upper airway physiology, minimally invasive sinus surgery, and intestinal surgery. Current research projects are focused on the musculoskeletal system including orthopedics, wound healing, and antimicrobial delivery systems for musculoskeletal infection. In addition, Dr. Morello has conducted large scale survey research across various areas of specialty medicine, as well as academic practice, to consider professional worklife, the intersection of work and personal life, and the effect of a shifting gender demographic in veterinary medicine. She has been an invited lecturer on these topics at numerous conferences and universities.
Dr. Morello is primarily focused on the care of surgical patients in the Large Animal Hospital and on the clinical training of both residents and final year students. Her classroom responsibilites include the orthopedic and musculoskeletal components of the third year Large Animal Surgery course, and she is the course coordinator for the third years Professional Skills course, as well as the fourth year elective rotations in Bovine Surgery and Large Animal Imaging. Dr. Morello has served as a Faculty Liaison for the UW Global Health Field School and is a member of the AOVet North America faculty.
Dr. Morello's clinical practice encompasses all aspects of surgery in both horses and farm animal species. With a personal background in the show horse and race horse industry, she has a particular clinical interest in traumautic and developmental orthopedic diseases. She also has extensive experience evaluating poor performance in sport horses and is in charge of the dynamic endoscopy system acquired for the diagnosis and management of upper airway disorders.
Morello SL, Colopy SA, Bruckner K, Buhr KA. Demographics, measures of professional achievement, and gender differences for diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2015. JAVMA 2019
Colopy SA, Buhr KA, Bruckner K, Morello SL. The intersection of personal and professional lives for male and female diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2015. JAVMA 2019
Roska S, Morello SL, Rajamanickam V, Smith LJ. The effects of hetastarch 130/0.4 on plasma osmolality, colloid osmotic pressure and total protein in horses anesthetized for elective surgical procedures. Vet Record 2018
- Radtke A, Morello SL, Muir P, Arnoldy C, Bleedorn J. Surgical correction of a complex angular and rotational limb deformity caused by a Salter Harris type III tibial fracture using CT imaging and a stereolithographic bone model in a donkey. Vet Surg 46: 1131-38; 2017
- Freeland RB, Morello SL, DeLombaert M, Rajamanickam V. The quantitative effect of intravenous regional limb perfusion with amikacin sulfate on Staphylococcus aureus bioburden in distal limb wounds in horses. Vet Surg 2017
- Biedrzycki AH, Grant BG, Nemke B, Markel MD, Morello SL. Arthrodesis of the equine centrodistal and tarsometatarsal joints using a single modified kerf-cut cylinder. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 29:227-231, 2016
- Biedrzycki AH, Grant BG, Nemke B, Morello SL, Markel MD. In vitro biomechanical evaluation of four surgical techniques for fusion of the equine centrodistal and tarsometatarsal joints. Am J Vet Res 77:1071-1081, 2016
- Edwards-Milewski ML, Morello SL, Zhao Q, Mattan-Bell C. The effect of intravenous regional perfusion of the distal limb with amikacin sulfate on wounds healing by second intention in horses. Vet Surg 45: 125-132; 2016
- Dubois MS, Morello SL, Rayment K, Markel MD, Vanderby RJ, Kalscheur VL, Hao Z, McCabe RP, Marquis P, Muir P. Computed Tomographic Imaging of Subchondral Fatigue Cracks in the Distal End of the Third Metacarpal Bone in the Thoroughbred Racehorse Can Predict Crack Micromotion in the Thoroughbred racehorse PLoS One, 9(7): e101230, 2014
- Butz DE, Morello SL, Sand J, Holland GN, Cook ME. The Expired Breath Carbon Delta Value is a Marker for the Onset of Sepsis in a Swine Model. J. Anal. At. Spectrom, 2014, 29, 606-613
- Morello SL, Southwood LL, Engiles J, et al. Effect of Intraperitoneal PERIDAN™ Concentrate Adhesion Reduction Device on Clinical Findings, Infection, and Tissue Healing in an Adult Horse Jejunojejunostomy Model. Vet Surg 41:568-81. 2012
- Morello SL, Parente EJ. Laser Vaporization of the Dorsal Turbinate as an Alternative Method of Accessing and Evaluating the Paranasal Sinuses. Vet Surg 39: 891-99, 2010
- Morello SL, Ducharme NG, Hackett RP, et al. Activity of selected rostral and caudal hyoid muscles in clinically normal horses during strenuous exercise. AJVR 69:682-89, 2008