Department of Surgical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Small Animal Surgical Residency – University of Wisconsin-Madison 2014
- Doctorate of Philosophy – University of Wisconsin-Madison, Comparative Biomedical Sciences 2011
- Rotating Medicine / Surgery Internship – University of Wisconsin-Madison 2011
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine – University of Wisconsin-Madison 2009
- Masters of Science – University of Wisconsin-Madison, Comparative Biomedical Sciences 2007
- Bachelors of Science – Northwestern University, Biomedical Engineering 2004
Dr. Sample is one of the principal investigators in The Comparative Orthopaedic Research Laboratory (CORL), which has several major fields of interest. She has been awarded an individual K01 career development award, funded by the National Institute of Health. Dr. Sample’s primary research is focused on understanding the genomics and neuropathology of canine laryngeal paralysis. Dr. Sample is also involved in other aspects of genetic research being undertaken by the CORL team, including understanding the genetic contribution to canine cruciate ligament rupture and equine surgical disease.
Dr. Sample is a principal investigator in the Comparative Orthopaedic Research Laboratory (CORL). She also assists in the training of small animal general surgery and surgical science to veterinary students, veterinary surgery residents, research fellows and graduate students.
Genetics of canine laryngeal paralysis and canine cruciate ligament rupture.
Teaching and learning in higher education.
The role of the nervous system in functional skeletal adaptation
- Baker L, Muir P, Sample SJ. Genome-wide assocation studies and genetic testing: understanding the science, success and future of a rapidly developing field. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019; 255(10):1126-1136.
Baker LA, Rosa GJM, Hao Z, Piazza A, Hoffman C, Binversie EE, Sample SJ, Muir P. Multivariate genome-wide association analysis identifies novel and relevant variants associated with anterior cruciate ligament rupture risk in the dog model. BMC Genet 2018; 19:39.
- Sample SJ, Racette MA, Hans EC, Volstad NJ, Schaefer SL, Bleedorn JA, Little JP, Waller KR, Hao Z, Block WF, Muir P. Use of platelet-rich plasma-collagen scaffold as a bioenhanced repair treatment for management of partial cruicate ligament rupture in dogs. PLoS One 2018; 13:e0197204.
- Sample SJ, Heaton C, Behan M, Bleedorn JA, Racette MA, Hao, Z, Muir P. Role of calcitonin gene-related peptide in functional adaptation of the skeleton. PLoS ONE 2014; 9(12):e113959
- Sample SJ, Bleedorn JA, Schaefer SL, Olson CJ, Mikla A, Muir P. Student’s perception of learning gain using case-based continuous assessment in a small animal surgery course for veterinary students. Vet Surg 2014;43(4): 388-99.
- Sample SJ, Hao Z, Wilson A, Muir P. Role of calcitonin gene-related peptide in bone repair after cyclic fatigue. PLoS ONE 2011;6(6):e20386.
- Sample SJ, Behan M, Smith L, Oldenhoff WE, Markel MD, Kalscheur VL, Hao Z, Miletic V, Muir P. Functional adaptation to loading of a single bone is neuronally regulated and involves multiple bones. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2008; 23: 1372-1381.