Samantha Loeber, DVM, DACVR, DACVR-EDI
Department of Surgical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Diagnostic Imaging, 2019-present
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Radiology-Equine Diagnostic Imaging, 2020
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Radiology, 2019
- Resident: Diagnostic Imaging, UW-Madison, 2016-2019
- Intern: Small Animal Medicine & Surgery, WestVet Animal Emergency & Specialty Center, Boise, Idaho, 2015-2016
- DVM, College of Veteirinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, 2011-2015
- BS, Animal Biotechnology & Conservation (Small Animal Science), Delaware Valley University, 2007-2011
Dr. Loeber is interested in functional, metabolic imaging with PET/CT and PET/MRI in companion animals, with a specific interest in oncologic and neuro-oncologic imaging. She is currently running a clinical trial evaluating canine brain tumor patients with PET/MRI. Dr. Loeber is also interested in standing equine CT research, infectious disease imaging, and further evaluation of cross-sectional imaging of exotic animal patients.
Clinician; course coordinator for fourth year ultrasound elective; veterinary student education; intern and resident training; continuing education for practitioners.
Dr. Loeber has a specific interest in cross-sectional imaging including CT and MRI in small and large companion animals, equine, and zoo, exotic and wildlife species. She is also interested in abdominal ultrasound and functional imaging such as PET/CT and PET/MRI. Dr. Loeber is passionate about clinical teaching and education of veterinary students, trainees, interns, and residents.
Dr. Loeber enjoys spending time with family and friends, including her furry family members, which consist of several dogs and happy little goats! She enjoys traveling, hiking, and exploring National Parks.
- Viner ME, Loeber SJ, Hardie R. JAVMA “What’s Your Diagnosis?”: Ruptured Pleural Abscess Secondary to Inhaled Foreign Material with Concurrent Hiatal Herniation. JAVMA. Jan 2022. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.19.11.0590
- Saver A, Loeber S, Hardie R, Wood M, Pritchard J. Correction of Choanal Atresia and Nasopharyngeal Stenosis in a Dog by Transpalatal Reconstruction and Stenting. JAVMA. Jul 15, 2021. Vol 259; No. 2. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.259.2.19
- Imai M, Halfmann P, Yamayoshi S, Iwatsuki-Horimoto K, Chiba S, Watanabe T, Nakajima N, Ito M, Kiso M, Maemura T, Takahashi K, Loeber S, Koga M, Nagai H, Yamamoto S, Saito M, Adachi E, Akasaka O, Nakamura M, Nakachi I, Ogura T, Baba R, Fujita K, Ochi J, Mitamura K, Kato H, Nakajima H, Yagi K, Hattori S, Maeda K, Suzuki T, Miyazato Y, Gordon A, Furusawa Y, Okuda M, Ujie M, Lopes T, Yasuhara A, Ueki H, Sakai-Tagawa Y, Omagari N, Sugaya N, Yotsuyanagi H, Mitsuya H, Suzuki T, Kawaoka Y. Characterization of a new SARS-CoV-2 variant that emerged in Brazil. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. June 17, 2021. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2106535117
- Daggett A, Loeber SJ, Le Roux A, Beaufrere H, Doss G. Computed Tomography with Hounsfield Unit Assessment is Useful in the Diagnosis of Liver Lobe Torsion in Pet Rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. Dec 2020;1-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/vru.12939
- Bosscher G, Loeber SJ, Hardie R. Lymphaticovenous Anastomosis of the Thoracic Duct to Intercostal Vein in a Canine Cadaver Model. Veterinary Surgery. 2020 Oct 17. DOI: doi: 10.1111/vsu.1352
- Imai M, Iwatsuki-Horimoto K, Hatta M, Loeber S, Halfmann P, Nakajima N, Watanabe T, Ujie M, Takahashi K, Ito M, Yamada S, Fan S, Chiba S, Kuroda M, Guan L, Takada K, Armbrust T, Balogh A, Furusawa Y, Okuda M, Ueki H, Yasuhara A, Sakai-Tagawa Y, Lopes T, Kiso M, Yamayoshi S, Kinoshita N, Ohmagari N, Hattori S, Takeda M, Mitsuya H, Krammer F, Suzuki T, Kawaoka Y. Syrian hamsters as a small animal model for SARS-CoV-2 infection and countermeasure development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. June 22, 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2009799117
- Randall EK, Loeber SJ, Kraft SL. Physiologic Variants, Benign Processes and Artifacts from 106 Canine and Feline FDG-PET/Computed Tomography Scans. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound. 2014 March/April; 55: 213-226.