Department of Medical Sciences
Titles and Education
Swedish Veterinary degree at the University of Agricultural
Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden, 1990
Private practitioner in referral practices in Sweden, 1990-2000
Residency in neurology/neurosurgery, Davis, CA, 2000-2003
Diplomate ACVIM (neurology), 2003
American DVM (ECFVG), 2007
ResearchResearch interest include spontaneously occuring neurologic diseases in cats and dogs, electrodiagnostics.
ResponsibilitiesMy responsibilities include, but are not limited to: teaching the clinical neurology course for third year students; faculty course coordinator for the health, history and physical examination lab for first year students; teaching neurology lab; teaching clinical neurology for the 4th year students in the clinical setting; teaching and acting as facilitator in the communication courses for year I-III veterinary students. Section head for neurology/neurosurgery.
Clinical interest include spinal surgery, electrophysiology, and diagnostic imaging.
- Lipitz L, Rylander H, Forrest LJ, Foy DS. Clinical and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Features of Central Nervous System Blastomycosis in 4 Dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2010 Nov-Dec;24:1509-14.
- Lipitz L , Rylander H, Pinkerton M. Intramedullary Epidermoid Cyst in the Thoracic Spine of a Dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2011 Nov;47(6):45-9.
- L. Hardefeldt, H. Rylander, B. Iskandar, M. Ellison and S. Peek. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of an intracranial cyst in an alpaca cria. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012; 240:1501-1506.
- Rylander H. Vestibular syndrome. What’s causing the head tilt and other neurologic signs? Veterinary Medicine July 2012; 316-322.
- Rylander H. The neurologic examination. Today’s veterinary practice.Jan/Feb 2013.