Department of Pathobiological Sciences
Titles and Education
- Clinical associate professor of anatomic pathology
- BS Zoology 1989, Iowa State University
- DVM 1993, Iowa State University
- Residency, Zoological Pathology, Zoological Pathology Program at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
Most of my research is based on clinical cases, and I do not have a research laboratory.
Section head, anatomic and clinical pathology
Teaching: Second year systemic pathology course coordinator ( I teach gastrointestinal pathology, respiratory pathology, avian and exotic pathology, overview); fourth year clinical rotation in necropsy; training of anatomic pathology residents
Clinical InterestsDiagnostic anatomic pathology incuding zoo, exotic, and wildlife pathology; neuropathology; respiratory pathology; oncology (special interest in lymphoma/ hematopoietic neoplasia).
I teach anatomic pathology residents, but not graduate students.
Goldberg TL, Sibley SD, Pinkerton ME, Dunn CD, Long LJ, White LC, Strom SM. Multidecade mortailty and a homolog of Hepatitis C virus in Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus), the national bird of the US. Sci Rep. 2019 Oct 18;9(1):14953. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-50580-8.
Lauer S, Pinkerton ME, Mans C, Doss GA. Recurrent subcutaneous teratoma in an adult red-crowned Amazon parrot (Amazona viridigenalis). J Avian Med Surg. 2019 Mar 1;33(1):59-64. doi: 10.1647/2017-331.
Barnes Heller HL, Granick MN, Pinkerton ME, Keuler NS. CAse-control study of risk factors for granulomatous meningoencephalomyelitis in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2019 Apr 1;254(7):822-825. doi: 10.2460/javma.254.7.822.
Barry-Heffernan C, Ekena J, Dowling S, Pinkerton ME, Viviano K. Biomarkers of oxidative stress as an assessment of the redox status of the liver in dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2019 Mar;33(2):611-617. doi: 10.1111/jvim.15443. Epub 2019 Feb 13.
Doss GA, Mans C, Johnson L, Pinkerton ME, Hardie RJ, Sladky KK. Diagnosis and management of inflammatory bowel disease in a harpy eagle (Harpia harpyja) with suspected fenbendazole toxicosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2018 Feb 1;252(3):336-342. doi: 10.2460/javma.252.3.336.
- Peek SF, McGuirk SM, Gaska J, Ravi M, Bell C, Pinkerton ME. 2012. Idiopathic hemorrhagic pericardial effusion as a precursor to epicardial lymphosarcoma in three cows. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 26(4):1069-72.
- Vail DM, ME Pinkerton, KM Young. 2012. Hematopoietic Cancer. In Withrow and MacEwan’s Small Animal Clinical Oncology, 5th edition, SJ Withrow, DM Vail and R Page, eds., Saunders, 608-678.
- Kagan RA, Pinkerton ME, Kinsel MJ. 2010. Neuronal embryonal tumors in fish. Vet Path 47: 553-9.
- Pinkerton ME, Wellehan JFX, Johnson AJ, Childress AL, Fitzgerald SD, Kinsel MJ. 2008. Columbid herpesvirus-1 in two Cooper’s hawks (Accipiter cooperi) with fatal inclusion body disease. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 44(3): 622-628.
- Pinkerton ME, Bailey KL, Thomas KK, Goetz TE, Valli VE. 2002. Primary epitheliotropic intestinal T-cell lymphoma in a horse. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 14: 141-143.