Department of Medical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Clinical Associate Professor, Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care, 2018-present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care, 2012-2018
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 2012
- Residency, Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care, North Carolina State University, 2009-2012
- Small Animal Rotating Internship, North Carolina State University, 2008-2009
- DVM, Michigan State University, 2008
- BS, Juniata College, 2004
Research interests include optimization of blood product collection, production, and storage; transfusion medicine; and viscoelastic tests of coagulation (e.g., thromboelastography).
Blood Bank Director
Co-Chair, Intern Committee
Clinical InterestsTransfusion medicine and blood banking, bleeding disorders, fluid resuscitation, pleural space disease, immune-mediated hematologic disease, and many others.
- Reich CF, Salcedo MC, Koenigshof AM, Hopp MM, Walker JM, Schildt JC, Beal MW. Clinical course and outcome following grape or raisin ingestion in dogs: 139 cases (2005-2014). J Vet Emerg Crit Care [In Press]
- Granfone MC, Walker JM, Smith LJ. Evaluation of an intramuscular butorphanol and alfaxalone protocol for feline blood donation: A pilot study. J Fel Med Surg. 2017 Sep 1: E-pub: doi: 10.1177/1098612X17732484.
- Evans NA, Hardie RJ, Walker JM, Bach JF. Temporary abdominal packing for management of persistent hemorrhage after liver lobectomy in three dogs with hepatic neoplasia. J Vet Emerg Crit Care [In Press].
- Reich CF, Bach JF, Walker JM. Evaluation of the effects of time, temperature, and specimen storage on in vitro lactate concentrations in healthy dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 2017; 46(2): 308-313.
- Evans NA, Walker JM, Manchester AC, Bach JF. Acute respiratory distress syndrome and septic shock in a cat with disseminated toxoplasmosis. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2017; 27(4): 472-478.
- Fetzer TJ, Walker JM, Bach JF. Comparison of the efficacy of small and large-bore thoracostomy tubes for pleural space evacuation in canine cadavers. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2017; 27(3): 301-306.
- Irvine KL, Walker JM, Friedrichs KR. Sarcocystid organisms found in bile from a dog with acute hepatitis: a case report and review of intestinal and hepatobiliary Sarcocystidae infections in dogs and cats. Vet Clin Pathol. 2016; 45(1):57-65.
- Istvan SA, Walker JM, Hansen BD, Hanel RM, Marks SL. Presumptive intraperitoneal envenomation resulting in hemoperitoneum and acute abdominal pain in a dog. J Vet Emerg Crit Care, 2015;25(6): 770-777.
- Hanel RM, Chan DL, Conner B, Gauthier V, Holowaychuk M, Istvan S, Walker JM, Wood D, Goggs R, Wiinberg B. Systemic evaluation of evidence on veterinary viscoelastic testing, Part 4: Definitions and data reporting. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2014;24(1):47-56.
- Lennon EM, Hanel RM, Walker JM, Vaden SL. Hypercoagulability in dogs with protein-losing nephropathy as assessed by thromboelastography. J Vet Intern Med 2013;27:462-8.
- Walker JM, Hanel RM, Hansen BD, Motsinger-Reif AA. Comparison of venous sampling methods for thromboelastography in clinically normal dogs. Am J Vet Res 2012; 73(12):1864-70.