Titles and Education
- Instructional Program Manager III
- Section Head of Diagnostic Microbiology
- MS 1995, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- BS (MT, ASCP) 1985, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
ResearchMolecular epidemiology of methicillin-resistant staphylococci, infection prevention strategies for nosocomial pathogens, Salmonella enterica carriage dogs and cats, antimicrobial stewardship, and the antimicrobial susceptibility/treatment of urinary tract pathogens.
ResponsibilitiesSupervise the clinical pathology laboratory including diagnostic microbiology and immunology. Responsible for the overall operation and coordination of the clinical microbiology laboratory. Other activities include: hospital infection prevention facilitator, laboratory information system specialist, and performance of consultations with clinicians, students, private practitioners, and researchers.
Clinical InterestsClinical Pathology, infectious and zoonotic disease trends in the teaching hospital, antimicrobial resistance, antimicrobial stewardship, and laboratory information system enhancement
- Hartmann, F.A., A.F. Dusick, and K.M. Young. 2013. Impact of disinfectant-filled foot mats on mechanical transmission of bacteria in a veterinary teaching hospital. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 242:682-688
- Doyle, E.M., F.A. Hartmann, and A.C. Lee Wong. 2012. Methicillin-resistant staphylococci: implications for our food supply? Animal Health Research Reviews, 13, p157-180. doi:10.1017/S1466252312000187
- Black, C.C., L.C. Eberlein, S. M. Solyman, R.P. Wilkes, F.A. Hartmann, B. Rohrbach, D. A. Bemis, S.A. Kania. 2011. The role of mecA and blaZ regulatory elements in mecA expression by regional clones of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius. Veterinary Microbiology. 151:345-353
- Hartmann, F.A., D.G. White, S.E.H. West, R.D. Walker, and D.J. DeBoer. 2005. Molecular characterization of Staphylococcus intermedius carriage by healthy dogs and comparison of antimicrobial susceptibility patterns to pathogenic pyoderma isolates. J. Vet. Micro. 108:119-131
- Peek, S.E., F.A. Hartmann, C.B. Thomas, and K.V. Nordlund. 2004. Isolation of Salmonella spp from the environment of dairies without any history of clinical salmonellosis. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 225:574-577