Department of Pathobiological Sciences
Titles and Education
- Clinical Associate Professor of Clinical Pathology
- BA (Bacteriology) 1986 University of Wisconsin - Madison
- DVM 1991 University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Residency, Clinical Pathology, University of Wisconsin, 1999-2002
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Clinical Pathology), 2003
Establishing reference intervals in specific populations of animals, canine histiocytic neoplasms, hematopoiesis in rodent model of chronic renal failure, cytologic diagnosis of osteosarcoma
Diagnsostic responsibilities: Co-administrator of Clinical Pathology Laboratory, Duty pathologist, Train and mentor Clinical Pathology residents; Teaching: Veterinary clinical pathology, year 2, semester 2; Active Integrated Learning I & II, 2nd year, semester 1 and 2; Guest lecturer in Histology, Clinical Correlations for Leukocytes and Bone Marrow, year 1, semester 2; Clinical Pathology Elective, year 4, Spring and Fall elective blocks
Clinical interests: reference intervals, laboratory quality and standards, cytopathology, hematology, serum tumor markers, immunochemistry.
Graduate TrainingFormer Clinical Pathology residents
Ryan Dickinson, DVM, DACVP Veterinary Clinical Pathologist, Prairie Diagnostic Services, Saskatchewan, SK, Canada
Erica Behling-Kelly, DVM, PhD, DACVP Assistant Professor of Clinical Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University
Josely Figueiredo, DVM, PhD Post-doctoral Research Scientist, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin
- Friedrichs KR, Thomas C, Plier M, Andrew GA, Chavey S, Young K. Evaluation of serum ferritin as a tumor marker for canine histiocytic sarcoma. J Vet Intern Med 2010;24(4):904-11.
- Figueiredo J, Culver S, Breen M, Behling-Kelly E, Friedrichs KR. Acute myeloblastic leukemia with associated BCR-ABL translocation in a dog. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(3):362-8.
- Gunn-Christie RG, Freeman K, Routsalo K, Friedrichs KR, Knoll J, Wamsley H, Harr, K. ASVCP quality assurance guidelines: control of preanalytical and analytical factors for clinical chemistry, urinalysis, and cytology in veterinary laboratories. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(1):18-26.
- Vap LM, Harr K, Friedrichs K, Arnold J. ASVCP quality assurance guidelines: control of preanalytical, analytical and postanalytical factors in veterinary laboratories related to hematology for mammalian and non-mammalian species, hemostasis, and crossmatching. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(1
- Friedrichs KR, Harr KE, Freeman KP, Szladovits B, Walton RM, Barnhart K, Blanco-Chavez J. ASVCP reference interval guidelines: determination of de novo reference intervals in veterinary species and other related topics. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41(4):441-53.