Douglas DeBoer, DVM, DACVD, Professor
Department of Medical Sciences
Titles and Education
- Professor of Dermatology
- BS 1977, University of California, Davis
- DVM 1981, University of California, Davis
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Dermatology, 1987
The Dermatology Laboratory currently conducts applied clinical research in the area of allergy and staphylococcal skin infection. We seek to identify improvements that can be made in diagnostic tests for allergy, and new treatments for allergy. We are also interested in the relationship between staphylococcal infection and allergy, and ways to help manage recurrent staphylcoccal skin infection in allergic dogs.
ResponsibilitiesDr. DeBoer lectures in core dermatology principles for 3rd year students and teaches 4th year students in the dermatology clinical rotation. He is a frequent lecturer at national and international continuing education courses for graduate veterinarians seeking to enhance their expertise in dermatology.
Clinical InterestsDiagnosis and treament of skin diseases in dogs and cats; allergic skin disease in dogs and cats; recurrent bacterial skin infections.
Graduate TrainingDepending on the year and on availability of funding, our department operates a clinical training program (internship or residency) that provides specialty training in animal skin diseases.
Mueller RS, Jensen-Jarolim E, Roth-Walter F, Marti E, Janda J, Seida AA, DeBoer DJ. Comparative allergology: allergen immunotherapy in dogs, cats, and horses compared to current practice in humans. Allergy, in press 2018
DeBoer DJ. The future of immunotherapy in canine atopic dermatitis: a review. Veterinary Dermatology 28:25-e6, 2017.
Layne EA, DeBoer DJ. Serum Malassezia-specific IgE in dogs with recurrent Malassezia otitis externa without concurrent skin disease. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 176: 1-4, 2016.
DeBoer DJ, Verbrugge M, Morris M. Clinical and immunological responses of dust-mite sensitive, atopic dogs to treatment with sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT). Veterinary Dermatology 27: 82-7e23, 2016.
Olivry T, DeBoer DJ, Favrot C, Jackson HA, Mueller RS, Nuttall T, Prelaud P. Treatment of canine atopic dermatitis: 2015 updated guidelines from the International Committee on Allergic Diseases of Animals (ICADA). BMC Veterinary Research 11:210-224, 2015.
Oldenhoff WE, Frank GR, DeBoer DJ. Comparison of the results of intradermal test reactivity and serum allergen-specific IgE measurement for Malassezia pachydermatis in atopic dogs. Veterinary Dermatology 25:507-e85, 2014.
- DeBoer DJ. Guidelines for Symptomatic Medical Treatment of Canine Atopic Dermatitis. In Noli C, Foster A, Rosenkrantz W (eds). Veterinary Allergy. Wiley-Blackwell, in press 2013.
- DeBoer DJ. Allergen-Specific Immunotherapy. In: Bonagura J, Twedt DC (eds). Current Veterinary Therapy XV. Philadelphia, Saunders Elsevier, in press 2013.
- Diesel A, DeBoer DJ. Serum allergen-specific immunoglobulin E (IgE) in atopic and healthy cats: comparison of rapid screening immunoassay and complete-panel analysis. Veterinary Dermatology 22:39-45, 2011.
- Olivry T, DeBoer DJ, Favrot C, Jackson HA, Mueller RS, Nuttal T, Prelaud P. Treatment of Canine Atopic Dermatitis: 2010 Clinical Practice Guidelines from the International Task Force on Canine Atopic Dermatitis. Veterinary Dermatology 21:233-248, 2010.
- DeBoer DJ, Affolter VK, Hill PB (eds). Advances in Veterinary Dermatology, volume 6. Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.