SCHEDULE AN INTERNAL MEDICINE APPOINTMENT:
Regular clinic hours are Monday through Friday, and our scheduling staff will assist you in finding an appointment with the right veterinary specialist based on your animal's needs at a time that works for you. Our emergency services for all species are also available 24/7 if your animal has a serious problem that requires immediate medical attention.
The experienced equine medicine clinicians at the Morrie Waud Large Animal Internal Medicine department offer primary, referral and consultation services for equine patients. Our horse veterinarians are also on call 24 hours/day, every day of the year, to provide emergency care when you need it.
With all the latest tools necessary for diagnosing and managing a wide range of health issues in horses, our expert equine veterinarians look forward to providing you and your horse with the best care possible.
Common Horse Diseases & Illnesses
We do our best to manage colic medically. However, if surgery is necessary, we work side by side with our equine surgeons to provide seamless care for your horse.
Diarrhea and Weight Loss
These are common symptoms caused by many different underlying issues. Having board-certified veterinary radiologists and a full clinical laboratory staffed with medical technologists and board-certified veterinary pathologists means we can provide accurate and timely answers and solutions.
These may range from problems within the nasal sinuses to airway diseases to lung problems and pneumonia.
These may be caused by something as basic as a vitamin deficiency or something much more serious such as Equine Herpes Virus [EHV].
Other Common Horse Diseases and Illnesses
Heart Murmurs and Arrhythmias
Metabolic Diseases Affecting Ponies or Horses
Urinary Tract Problems
Orphan Foal Care
Cutting-Edge Diagnostic Tools for Horses
On-site clinical laboratories:
- Blood tests
- Microbiology cultures
- Infectious disease testing
- High-resolution digital radiography:instantly viewable and sharable, fewer retakes required
- Ultrasound/ultrasonographyfor soft tissues: relatively inexpensive and safe, no need for anesthesia, still and dynamic images are viewable in real time, can be used to guide interventional procedures such as biopsies or intralesional injections
- Nuclear scintigraphyfor musculoskeletal injuries/trauma: a multi-phase process that provides the ability to detect trauma such as stress fractures that cannot be detected with other imaging modalities; may be performed standing under sedation; allows for full-body bone scans if necessary
- NEW standing CT scanner: eliminates the need for general anesthesia, allows images to be taken “standing under sedation,” can scan both front limbs or hind limbs simultaneously for comparison
Specialized Treatment and Supportive Care Services
- The only site in Wisconsin to offer equine isolation facilitiesfor the management of contagious diseases
- Full-body sling and padded stalls for neurologic or injured horses
- 24/7 nursing and veterinary medical carefor horses and foals needing intensive care
- Farriers to provide both routine and therapeutic hoof trimming and shoeing
We understand that paying for your animal’s medical needs can be stressful. Your animal deserves the best care and we have various payment options, so your focus can be on getting your animal healthy.
Entrance and Parking for Trailers
After you arrive, please contact one of our staff if they are not immediately present to greet you, so that we may unload your animal from your trailer.
If it is helpful for you to leave your trailer here while your animal is an inpatient, you may use our dedicated parking stalls. Learn more about this option from our staff.
Questions or concerns about your horse?
Contact our team of experts today. Our board-certified large animal internists, residents, veterinary technicians, animal caretakers and veterinary students work together to surround you and your animal with the care you need.
SCHEDULE AN INTERNAL MEDICINE APPOINTMENT:
Regular clinic hours are Monday through Friday, and our scheduling staff will assist you in finding an appointment with the right veterinary specialist based on your animal's needs at a time that works for you. Our emergency services for all species are also available if your animal has a serious problem that requires immediate medical attention.