Help us do the best work possible
Welcome to Careers at UW Veterinary Care. We love animals and feel lucky to be able to do what we do. Our teaching hospital and world-renowned patient care center are part of the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine. Beyond providing a wide array of specialties to all kinds of animals every day, we also explore innovative approaches to treatment and participate in studies that have the power to improve, and even save, lives.
Our employees’ well-being is just as important as our patients’ well-being
At UW Veterinary Care, you’ll earn:
- Competitive wages
- Vacation and personal days (starting at 144 hours/18 days for FTEs)
- Sick days (earn up to 130 hours/year)
- Paid holidays
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Retirement plan options
- Life insurance options
- Spending and savings accounts, including parking and transit
- Shift differentials for nights and weekends
- Shift differentials for techs in Emergency Critical Care and Anesthesia
You’ll also benefit from:
- Professional development fund
- Opportunities for growth and promotion
- 24 hours of paid continuing education
- Up to $1,000 for continuing education
- Ability to teach, learn and grow
- Support and incentives for vet techs pursuing VTS
- Sign-on Bonus of 3-5% of base pay (based on FTE) to be paid quarterly over the first year of employment (minimum of $1,800+ for Veterinary Technicians)
- 20% pet care discount for employees (effective March 1, 2022)
- Discounts from a variety of organizations
Plus, there are many wonderful perks of living in Madison. Here’s just a glimpse of what our city has to offer:
- Art, theater and live music
- Farmers markets
- World-class museums
- Badger sports
- Lakes and trails
- Fun nightlife
We have big plans for our future and yours
The UW School of Veterinary Medicine is growing, and we’re constructing a new state-of-the-art facility in order to extend our research and patient care capabilities even further. This expansion and renovation will double the size of the small animal hospital and significantly enhance the large animal hospital. In addition to creating new learning spaces and labs and increasing diagnostic imaging capabilities, the small animal hospital will be home to a new cancer center and the large animal hospital will contain a covered arena.
Calling all Veterinary Technicians
Your contributions are critical to our teams, and we have many exciting and rewarding opportunities available for you right now.
“I love the variety of species we work with and the advanced techniques we perform here. The standard of care is impeccable, and I am constantly learning here.”
– Sandra Eklof, Veterinary Technician, Anesthesia
“I love working with the highest-quality medicine around and teaching that to new nurses, interns and students.”
– Jen Gall, Veterinary Technician, Critical Care Unit/Emergency Room
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for us
We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals. The University of Wisconsin–Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background — people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
Hear about our "SUper" Team!
UW Veterinary Care patient Scout and members of our team who were part of his cancer treatment journey starred in WeatherTech’s 2020 Super Bowl commercial. Learn more about Scout’s care, as well as our work to treat and prevent cancer.