We understand that if an emergency occurs, you want the best experts ready to treat your animal quickly and compassionately. For this reason, our team of emergency veterinarians in Madison, WI, is always available to provide immediate assistance to small animals in our 24-hour pet hospital, as well as equine, bovine and livestock in our Morrie Waud Large Animal Hospital.
Here, we are uniquely equipped with all of the latest tools and technologies to care for critically ill or injured patients, ensuring you will have access to whatever treatments and specialists your companion requires.
To best prepare for an emergency, store our number in your phone.
Recognizing an Emergency
Emergencies can be scary, and it isn’t always clear if an illness or injury requires a trip to our small or large animal emergency hospitals. The following symptoms and situations may be life-threatening and require emergency care:
- Trouble breathing
- Ingestion of poisons or intoxicants
- Collapse, loss of consciousness or significant lethargy (dullness)
- Straining to urinate or inability to pass urine
- Nonproductive retching or intractable vomiting
- Eye injuries
- Difficult labor
If you are unsure whether you should bring your animal to our ER, please call 608-263-7600.
Safely Transporting Your Pet in an Emergency
Injured pets can be unpredictable when experiencing a traumatic or painful situation. Keep these key tips in mind as you prepare to transport your animal to our Madison emergency veterinary clinic:
- Practice caution to avoid injury to yourself and others nearby
- Use a blanket to safely move or lift an injured animal
- In the case of trauma, keep your animal or pet on a firm surface
- If you suspect that your animal has eaten or been exposed to a poison or intoxicant, bring along any packaging that might help our staff quickly identify the substance
- Bring any medications your pet or large animal is currently taking so that our team may have a complete picture of their medical condition